The “Tower of the Flock”, or Migdal Eder, was the place where Passover lambs were birthed in Bethlehem. This is most significant because the Tower had a manger and swaddling clothes!
A Little Lamb Story
Let’s go back more than 2000 years ago…. a different time, a different culture…
It was the very first day of their first month of Israel’s year – a glorious spring! “Lambing season” had begun! Spring is the time for baby lambs to be birthed. So, the shepherds were in the fields of Bethlehem that night – expecting the births of little lambs. But did they expect the Lamb of God to be born that night? This Lamb of God would be their King of Israel, their Messiah, the Savior of the whole world!
YHWH God, who created the heavens and the earth, uses His own calendar. The first day of the first month is Nisan 1 and, according to many rabbis, it celebrates the dawn of the creation. How wonderful that Yeshua the Messiah may have been birthed on Nisan 1 since the LORD does bring us new life!
Interesting Facts from Exodus 12
1. Nisan is the first month of the year. (v2) People have changed their calendar often, but still God keeps His original calendar!
2. Lamb Selection Day was on Nisan 10. (v3) This also was when Yeshua rode in to Jerusalem which we now celebrate as “Palm Sunday”.
3. The lamb chosen was to be without blemish, a male, and a year-old. (v5)
4. The lamb was sacrificed on Nisan 14 to be the Passover lamb. Yeshua was crucified on Nisan 14, and He became our Passover Lamb.
5. The blood of the lamb was put on the doorposts and lintel to protect the people within from the judgment of the LORD.
6. The killed lamb was to be roasted and eaten with unleavened bread and with bitter herbs. (v.8)
7. This is the LORD’s Passover. (v11) It should be celebrated yearly forever! (v14)
Question: How can we get the LORD’s judgment to “pass over” us?
Answer: We must believe by faith in the Lamb of God, Yeshua, whose blood was shed on the cross! Then God will give you eternal life!
Yeshua was crucified on Passover, and raised from the dead on the Feast of Firstfruits! God has a plan and it is in His calendar!
From the book O Little Tower of Bethlehem for children and all ages:
“So, you see,” Micah resumes, “the Passover lambs are birthed in this ‘tower of the flock’ and God’s perfect Passover Lamb will be born there, too! The LORD is incredible in His forethought!”
See the VIDEO: O Little Tower of Bethlehem
Yeshua is “the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world”.