This can be fashioned into a prayer for those who are under a spirit of bondage/slavery which is the beginning of Romans 8:15. For example, pray : “I bind that spirit of bondage for (name), and loose the spirit of adoption by which we cry, ‘Abba! Father!” I loose the spirit of liberty in (name)’s life!
SPIRITUAL WICKEDNESS IN HIGH PLACES
Yeshua said, “In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man’s house.” (Mark 3:27)
Below is a listing of specific evil spirits mentioned by name in the Bible. Because they are specifically named, it would seem that some might be analogous to the “strong man” that Yeshua spoke of binding first.
There seems to be a hierarchy in the spirit world as indicated in Ephesian 6:12:
“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
The spirit of antichrist and the spirit of Babylon seem to be up high in that hierarchy. They ultimately will manifest as THE antichrist world leader and as the false prophet of Revelation with their lying wonders.
Satan, of course, is at the top of this demonic pyramid scheme. But Satan is not all-powerful nor is he omni-present himself. In fact, Satan has already been defeated by our LORD.
“He [Christ] disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in Him.” Col 2:15
Satan therefore has no power but uses LIES to get unrepentant men to do his bidding. Satan has an army of lying spirits who work worldwide where man has allowed them to operate. People , sometimes unknowingly, allow devils to rule over them because they WILL NOT accept Yeshua as King and LORD. But we who are submitted to the King of Kings have the authority and right in Christ to say, “Be gone!” to any demons meddling in our lives, our homes or our spheres of influence. (Do NOT overstep your own area of authority!)
Below in the list, the “spirits” underlined are those that seem often to be the mastermind behind the spiritual problems. (Satan is, of course, the mastermind behind all evil.)
Evil spirits seem seldom to work alone. They generally work in tandem. There are usually two or more working together.
For example, a spirit of infirmity, a spirit of heaviness and a spirit of fear (of death or sickness) work together to try to keep one down and out and not achieving one’s destiny.
The spirit of bondage wants to keep the Church in bondage and so employs seducing spirits and spirits of jealousy to steal gifts from the Church, not allowing people’s gifts to come forth for the equipping of the saints.
I listed these spirits in groupings of how I’ve observed them working together but this is not dogmatic.
Generally, in spiritual warfare, bind, restrict, and/or forbid the negative spirit THEN loose, call forth or release the opposite positive spirit. If you don’t know who you are in Christ, then you should learn that first before going into battle. You can’t win a battle without faith in God’s Word because it is that Word that you need to swing as your sword! The strength behind that swing is the Holy Ghost! Spiritual warfare is directed by the Holy Spirit, not done in our own strength. It is not uselessly railing at evil, but asserting and declaring the Word of God into and over a situation with authority.
AN EVIL HIERARCHY
These are the spirits identified specifically by name in the Bible (KJ shows this best):
- BIND the spirit of antichrist (1 John 4:3); (Satan) “man of lawlessness” (2 Thess 2:4) (endtime antichrist). The opposite good spirit needed is Christ, the “anointed one”. Call forth anointing. LOOSE Christ-likeness.
- BIND the spirit of pride or a haughty spirit. LOOSE humility (Proverbs 6:16-17; Isaiah 16:6)
- BIND the spirit of confusion – Babylon (Mother of harlots) (Rev 17:5) LOOSE the shalom of God & truth. (The False Prophet is under this demonic spirit.)
- BIND the spirit of whoredom. LOOSE a spirit of purity
- BIND the spirit of error (1 John4:6; 2 Peter 3:16-17). LOOSE the spirit of truth.
- BIND lying spirits (2 Chronicles 18:22). Speak and LOOSE truth.
- BIND a perverse spirit (Proverbs 23:42: Romans 1:17-32). LOOSE the spirit of purity.
- BIND the spirit of witchcraft/divination/python/rebellion. LOOSE a spirit of purity. (1 Samuel 15:23; Isa 47:13; Acts 16:16*)
* From Biblehub for Strong’s Concordance definition of Greek 4436: “a divining spirit, Python, called after the Pythian serpent said to have guarded the oracle at Delphi and been slain by Apollo.”
“For rebellion is as the sin of divination, and presumption is as iniquity and idolatry.” 1 Samuel 15:23)
Witchcraft or rebellion is a very COMMON root cause of spiritual problems. Witchcraft, maybe not called that per se by the users, is used in most religions. There is witchcraft, by God’s definition, in most, if not all, religions. The rituals of false religions (chanting, necromancy, calling on demons, etc.) can all be put under witchcraft which is under Babylon!
- BIND the spirit of bondage. Loose a spirit of liberty. (Romans 8:15; 2 Peter 2:19) (2 Cor 3:17)
- the spirit of infirmity (Luke 13:11; John 5:5). Loose healing.
- the spirit of heaviness (Isaiah 61:3). “Put on the garment of praise”!
- a deaf & dumb spirit (Matt 17:15; Mark 9:25) Loose healing.
- the spirit of fear (2 Timothy 1:7; Psalm 55:5) Read aloud Psalm 91. Loose the perfect love of God.
- the spirit of jealousy (Numbers 5:11) Loose the perfect love of God which casts out all fear! (1 John 4:18)
- the spirit of slumber/stupor (Romans 11:8). Exhort to “Arise, sleeping one…” (Eph 5:14)
- seducing spirits (2 Timothy 3:13; Mark 13:22). Loose faithfulness.
- lying spirits (2 Chronicles 18:22). Speak and loose truth.
The term “familiar spirit” found often in the Word is probably a more general term for evil spirits, not a specific designation. For example, a familiar spirit of witchcraft may be handed down from one family member to the next. Familiar spirits might stay in a family line if they are not cast out and replaced by the Holy Spirit.
- familiar spirits: (Deut 18:9-12; 1 Chron 10:13)
Obviously, the antidote to any spiritual problem is repentance of sins (that led to their coming under the sway of demons), surrender to Christ’s authority, and the infilling of the Holy Spirit of Christ!
I’d like to give credit to Revs. Eddie & Alice Smith (Houston,TX) who mentored me in much of this early on in my Christian walk. They have written numerous books touching on this subject, if you’d like to read further.